Membership in Professorial Societies:
Linguistic Society of America, Southeastern Conference on Linguistics, Sigma Tau Delta, American Dialect Society.
- Curriculum Committee (English Department). Fall 2005-Spring 2006.
- Faculty Senate. Fall 2005-Spring 2006.
- Committee D (Research and Scholarship Committee—University Level Committee). Fall 2005-Spring 2006.
- PhD Advisory Committee. Fall 2006-2009 & Fall 2012-Spring 2013.
- Faculty Council. Fall 2006-Spring 2015.
- Batten Arts and Letters Research and Scholarship Committee. Fall 2007-Spring 2009.
- ODU Sexual Harassment Committee. Fall 2007-present.
- Grievance Committee. Summer 2008-present.
- College Curriculum Committee Fal.l 2011-Spring 2012.
- Department of English Tenure and Promotion Committee. Fall 2009-present.
- College of Arts and Letters Graduate Studies Committee. Fall 2013-Spring 2016.
- Editorial Assistant, Language Learning: A Journal of Applied Linguistics, Summer 1999-Spring 2002.
- Member of the Board of Directors, Language Learning: A Journal of Applied Linguistics, Spring 2002-Fall 2003.
- Outside Reviewer, National Science Foundation (linguistics). Fall 2004-present.
- Abstract Reviewer for NWAV Conference
- Reviewer for Language in Society
- Reviewer for Language Variation and Change
Conference Sessions Chaired:
- Contact and Dialect Acquisition. New Ways of Analyzing Variation (NWAV) 34, New York University.
- Structural Variation in African American English (AAE) II. New Ways of Analyzing Variation (NWAV) 33, Ann Arbor.
- Language and the South. Southeastern Conference on Linguistics (SECOL) LXXII, North Carolina State University, Raleigh, NC.